The Digital Business Kit for Retailers
Retailers will gain an understanding of the different online Security and privacy risks and opportunities to address these. [printfriendly]
Internet Browsing & Downloads
Today, browsing the internet and downloading online material is a standard part of work for most retail companies. Vital activity or not, internet browsing and downloading has security and privacy implications. While staff may not intentionally browse or download from undesirable sites, it is a risk from which you need to protect your retail company.
- Malicious website visits: A malicious website is built to infect visitor browsers with viruses, adware, malware, etc. If staff browse a malicious website, the company network can be infected with a virus, cause system damage or create a hacker backdoor, etc.
- Inappropriate website visits: Inappropriate sites are websites that have illegal or socially questionable content. Staff who visit inappropriate sites will leave a record of this activity traceable to the company IP address and history of the occurrence will be stored in devices. Consequences will range based on the severity of the website content.
- Legitimate download: These can include a new version of a program already in use. In an intranet environment, the download and execution of a legitimate product may conflict with existing network settings. The IT department should curtail this activity by not permitting system downloads by unauthorised staff. This can be done with user settings that require a password to install software.
- Malicious download: A program that is infected with a virus or other malicious intent can be downloaded by staff. This can occur with multi-media downloads (music/movies) as well as applications or program downloads.
- Inappropriate downloads: Staff who use their work devices to download inappropriate material put themselves and the company at risk. The company may not be held liable but resulting press, etc. can damage the reputation of a company.
- Anti-virus and other software solutions: Strong safety software programs should deter staff from visiting or downloading from inappropriate sites. Click here for industry leaders in internet browsing security programs and listings of free and paid solutions.
- Company internet usage policy: Staff need to understand and adhere to best practices when browsing the internet and downloading files. The resource section has sample plans, articles on planning considerations and more. Click here to view links on this topic.
This website is not endorsing any of the following organisations, rather we have filtered through a high number of resources to bring you some of the more valuable material.
Resource Short List
(see full resource list here)
Free Antivirus You Can Trust | PCWorld
Antivirus reviews on CNET
Interactive IT Security Training Tools for Your Employees | Sophos
Microsoft – why you need a company Internet policy
Sample Internet and Email Policy
Putting a Fair Internet Use Policy in Place – Businessweek